Thursday, August 5, 2010

I began 2010 thinking I would write a poem a day. That didn't happen. I have always loved poetry and try to read some everyday. It slows you down. Makes you think. When I worked in bookstores I had the privilege of meeting some wonderful poets. The bookstore supported local authors and also helped aspiring writers by giving them a place to read works in progress. We had poetry slams. We had "poetry in public"; a program where poets would leave their work around town in restaurants, banks, even restrooms. We supported each other. We had community. I've only shared my poems with a few people. Now that I am trying to live a literary life and not be afraid I thought I'd share a poem from January 4th, 2010.



A NEW YEAR
A neighbor has come with shovel in hand
and removed last night's snowfall from the driveway
making a path to my front door.
He did not knock at this early hour
but worked quietly.
I awakened to the sound of a shovel scraping against the pavement.
The snow crunching underfoot.
Sound fading as he worked his way down the drive.
I sat perfectly still in my house.
I did not want to open the front door for fear of breaking the spell.
let acts of kindness fall like snowflakes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment